Old February 17th 05, 02:33 AM
Bob Nielsen

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:36:37 -0800, G7TMG wrote:

"Bob Nielsen" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:16:13 -0800, G7TMG wrote:
Thanks Bob, that link proved quite informative.

snip

I've heard all three used, but usually "stroke". Although the FCC site
indicates that the suffix goes after your call, I doubt you would get
into trouble putting it first, as that has become an international
standard recently (CEPT regulations specify this, as well as the use of
the word "stroke").

I see where CEPT no longer lists two classes of privileges (except for
a few countries), so you would probably be legal under CEPT as well as
under the reciprocal agreement.

Where in 7-land are you located? I am near Seattle.

73, Bob N7XY

I found this from the ARRL site
(http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...ns/io/#foreign)

"No additional permit is required -- simply bring your original license,
issued by your home country when you visit the US; and be sure to identify
your station while operating by the US call district identifier (e.g.,
followed by your non-US call sign.W3/G1ABC)."

So the ARRL say it should be a prefix and the FCC say a suffix??? sounds
like these guys need to talk to each other...

I think the FCC site is somewhat dated.

Seattle is a very nice city, we've been there a few times. The XYL loves
Pike St. Market.
QTH is Coeur d'Alene, ID. Love living here too.

Used to live in the Lake District, UK and that is a great destination if you
ever make it to "Blighty".

Been there (1982). Very nice and quiet. I'm on Bainbridge Island, 9
mi. west of Seattle.

Here's another quandry I find myself in:

I can't operate on amateur HF bands here without a CW test but I can operate
HF on marine frequencies - I also hold the GMDSS general licence for which I
didn't have to pass a CW test and is valid anywhere in the world! LOL make
sense of that one.

As I interpret both the FCC site and the latest CEPT regulations, if
the UK allows you to operate on the amateur HF bands without a code
test, you can do that here also (which surprised me a bit).

Bob N7XY