Old February 16th 05, 09:50 PM
Todd Daugherty

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
ganews.com...
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:58:27 -0600, Todd Daugherty wrote:

There are radio that allow higher speed packet including 9600 and 56K.

The
problem with packet here was the user frequency was being over ran by

BBS's
automatic fowarding and that's what drove off all the users. 1200 baud

would
work if the network was set up right.

For our county-wide ARES/RACES operation we have a four-node local
network that uses four VHF packet frequencies (1200 baud) and four
pairs of UHF frequencies (9600 baud), the latter for inter-node and
backbone automatic forwarding. We have about 40 users - ten "served
agencies" and thirty individual participants. The net is "up" 24/7
and carries a fair amount of inter-user messages -- classic ham radio
traffic handling. Several of us including myself have a dedicated
radio/TNC/computer running 24/7 just for this purpose.

No reason that it can't work.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Well, the problem here was the operators of the BBS's were told to move
their fowarding to the backbone system but they wouldn't. So the guy who ran
the vast majority of nodes here in the state of Illinois got basically
****ed off and turned the whole system off. that was back around 1998. I
think a newer system would work instead of the "old" packet system.
First the Speed 1200 baud is ok, it work. However, I think if amateur's
could figure out how these wireless networks work and apply that to the
amateur radio service. Instead of having a bunch of "nodes" going across the
United States on a radio frequency have only a "Local Access" point say on a
2 meter frequency which would go from that node through the internet and
backout on 2 meters. Instead of having traditional BBS software remove it
and use a Peer to Peer (P2P) this would be more practical in the sense that
all a person has to do is search for something and get a list. A bbs would
inpractical because in sense that a person would have to monitor the hard
driveand clean it out when it gets full and BBS's uses fowarding while a P2P
system there is no fowarding all the forsale stuff and stupid jokes stays in
the users share file.
Just an Idea....

Todd N9OGL