Old August 1st 03, 02:46 PM
hamman

"Clay Nicolsen" wrote in message ...
So you drop the bomb in your last sentence: "My SX88 sits, not plugged in.
Looks a lot better than the one on eBay but NOT for sale.. "

Clay : I was hit by lightning in 1995, taking out 15 radios, all of
which were plugged in without antennas connected (storm coming). The
path of damage went thru the neutral, fusing all the AC cords to the
wall socket! So, I always unplug AND disconnect coax from unused rigs.
hi hi That's the answer to that. The reason it is not for sale is that
it was bought from a friend's estate and I promised the widow I wud
not resell it until she passed away. She is 75 yrs old and healthy,
and I shall pass before her! hi
The Collins 451S1 is indeed rare. I have seen one, understand 8
are out there and know of 2 owners. Others are keeping quiet. I agree
the HQ180C is very nice for the vintage, as is the SP600JX series and
the R390A. I doubt the SX88 will touch the latter two. Low numbers and
being the "flagship" at the time does NOT make it a good receiver (nor
the flagship either) when production ceases with less than 100 made.
Just makes it rare and, correctly, desireable to Hall. collector
mainly. I won't be bidding. hi
San 73