Old February 17th 05, 08:32 AM
cl

"Buck" wrote in message
In WWII the allies were able to pinpoint the locations of German HF
transmissions very accurately. They were able to pinpoint the
locations of U-boats, etc. when they transmitted. (or so I have been
led to believe).

What methods did they use to do this? Is it something duplicatable
with Radio Amateurs in general or does it require some special type
equipment?

I hear lots of amateurs describing interference and other problems on
HF, but no one seems to be triangulating the offending stations. I am
guessing that the real secret was in their communications with the
'spotters' to triangulate the positions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

--
73 for now
Buck

Triangulating and so on, can and does work. You're talking a difference
between "war" and the need to know - vs - finding an offending station - to
shut it down, etc. The FCC isn't as involved as many would like to think.
They can't keep up with it. For others to do so, would be nothing short of
vigilante-ism. It's not worth being jailed or shot - trying to shut down an
offending station. Not to mention, most signals heard over hundreds or
thousands of miles away. Who really cares? Would you be willing to travel
the 1000 miles to put a stop to it? Probably not. Most new people can't
change a fuse - let alone triangulate. They're lucky they recall what a
resistor or capacitor is or does or even looks like once they put the book
down.