Old February 17th 05, 08:51 AM
Buck

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:32:48 -0500, "cl" wrote:

Triangulating and so on, can and does work. You're talking a difference
between "war" and the need to know - vs - finding an offending station - to
shut it down, etc. The FCC isn't as involved as many would like to think.
They can't keep up with it. For others to do so, would be nothing short of
vigilante-ism. It's not worth being jailed or shot - trying to shut down an
offending station. Not to mention, most signals heard over hundreds or
thousands of miles away. Who really cares? Would you be willing to travel
the 1000 miles to put a stop to it? Probably not. Most new people can't
change a fuse - let alone triangulate. They're lucky they recall what a
resistor or capacitor is or does or even looks like once they put the book
down.

I wasn't proposing that they 'shut them down' but to triangulate them.
I don't know how accurate the locations were during the war, but I
hear they were pretty accurate.

I think you agreed with my assumption that, basically, it is a matter
of amateurs not being coordinated, or more accurately from you, not in
the right location.

Sometimes the offending station is nothing more than a stuck keyer,
but sometimes it is intentional interference.

As for the competency, I hate to admit it, but sometimes what I see
leads me to believe my IQ must be about 250. That isn't to offend
those with high IQ's as those who have a real-life 200 IQ must be the
equivalent of about 600 now.

Oh well, off the soapbox.

I wonder if there would be any interest in long-range fox hunts (not
the QRP version.)

--
73 for now
Buck