Old February 17th 05, 06:50 AM
Bill Bird

Thanks for the suggestions. I've definitely discovered something. The
5.7 - 10MHz band on the rcvr is pretty much fine from 7.35 to 10.0MHz.
I've been using my Heathkit SG-8 Signal Generator. Signal strength is
strong and calibration is good at 7.35MHz (bandspread set to high end,
#200 per manual). At the main tuning setting of 10.0MHz the frequency
is actually 9.940 (bandspread still at #200 per manual) and signal
strength is still strong. Both a modulated AM tone and the CW work
fine from 7.35 to 10MHz.

I purchased and used some DeoxIT but restrained myself from
disassembling the S2 switch assembly.

What I've discovered is that below 7.35MHz the signal strength drops
off DRAMATICALLY - so much so I had missed the signal from my generator
all together until I really listened. At 7.35MHz all is fine but by
the time I tune down to 7.30MHz reception has dropped WAY off. It
stays that way to the bottom of the 5.7 to 10MHz band.

Since the 40m ham band is in the area where my HQ-129-X is way down in
reception it is not usuable. I do believe that several months ago I
was able to receive well on the 40m band after "wiggling" the
bandswitch knob. That is a note I had written to myself for operating
hints. "Wiggling " doesn't do anything now.

Any additional ideas are welcome. I have not done all the tests
suggested but maybe this new information can help zero in on the
problem. I am going to be reading about the "realignment procedure" in
the manual for now.

Note: I am using my R1000 rcvr to determine what frequency my generator
is producing!

Thanks for any additional ideas and 73.

Bill Bird
Chesterfield, MO