Old August 2nd 03, 04:35 AM
Dale Parfitt

hamman wrote:

Dale Parfitt wrote in message ...
hamman wrote:

" The SX-88 is the holy grail of Hallicrafters communications
receivers. It
is the rarest, and most desirable to collectors, and there are a great

Dale: sold last CM-1 4 yrs ago for $200. I disagree, it is a horrible
receiver with no provisions for rejection or notch and the $200
INCLUDED the rare speaker which alone is worth $150 if you can find
one, sorta like the Drake 1AS speaker for the 1A. Bottom line is
something is worth what you are willing to pay. As we get older, the
things we want decreases in number because it only produces a problem
for our wives to sell when we die. So I am down from 65 pieces to 26
at this time in the past 3 years. Glad we bough up this thread, sorta
nostalgic.... San

Hi San,

I admit it is no 2B, but very stable and mine is hot at least through 20M- don't
recall using it above there. I also have the CMS-1- not many around.
Wierdest problem I ever saw was in the last one I restored- it would randomly go deaf-
sometimes toucjing the antenna to the SO239 would bring it back. No amount of knocking
around would though. I finally ended up in the VFO/Mixer compartment with a GDO and
found out the mixer stages were not peaking. Turned out to be a screw mounting the VFO
cap was protruding by a thousandths or less onto the stator plates. Placing a
lockwasher under the head cured it. But I was ready to call it a parts radio! Most
common problem I have seen is the S meter coil opening. Have a few spares here still-
just in case.
BTW, Collins S line gray is a near perfect match for the Mosley grey.
Dale W4OP