Old February 17th 05, 03:23 AM
running dogg

Default WHY can't I hear the BBC?

This is the third of four nights that I've been totally unable to hear
the BBC with any degree of audibility. For the record, I'm trying to
receive The World Today at 0300 UTC. 9525 always seems to have or
develop some strange, loud buzz that totally wipes out the signal. It
can be clear at 0230 and when I tune back at 0300 it's developed this
very loud noise that I can't null. It's like the buzzing of a
flourescent light. 5975 always has a high noise floor for some reason,
but lately it's been so bad that the signal underneath is just mush.
I've tried all FIVE modes on my Yaesu FRG-8800 (AM, LSB, USB, CW, FM)
and none of them work. I've tried adjusting tone, volume, narrowband,
AGC, noise blanker, no dice. The same noises exist on my Degen 1102, so
it's not the radio or the antenna. I'm using about 50 feet of speaker
wire on the Yaesu, and the supplied external longwire on the Degen. A
couple nights ago I listened as 9525 started out clear at 0300 but as
time went on it developed the loud buzz, which ramped up gradually until
the signal was inaudible. Is anybody else hearing this, or having the
same problems?