Old August 2nd 03, 06:24 AM
heavywater

"Clay Nicolsen" wrote in message
The SX-88 is the holy grail of Hallicrafters communications receivers.

It
is the rarest, and most desirable to collectors, and there are a great

many
enthusiastic collectors of Hallicrafters radios. While it is absolutely

not
in the same class, performance-wise, as an R-390a, it is a very fine 20

tube
double conversion receiver. And, there were what...30,000+ R-390a's

made?
As was mentioned in a previous reply, it is extremely scarce. I have

read
that only 60 were (if memory serves) sold. $595 was a boatload of money

in
1954, and this radio was only available for two years. There were
approximately 1,000 Hammarlund Pro-310's sold, and one of those in good
condition will fetch near $2,000. I have seen a junk 88 parts radio

bring
over $1,000. I will be very, very surprised indeed if this one doesn't

go
well north of $5,000.

Clay

It may be a vintage set, but anyone who'd pay
$5000 for a 50 YO radio, let alone $2000 should
be put into a rubber room IMHO - grin ; )