Old February 17th 05, 10:15 PM
Dr. Artaud

"atomicthumbs" wrote in
oups.com:

Due to people's obsession to possess things that have certain terms
affiliated with them (Namely, in this case, Synchronous Detection), allow
me to direct you to the following link.

Concerning the venerable Icom R-75 with "Synchronous Detection", Radio
Netherlands had the following to say:

"Spot the Difference with the Sync

What is the singular failing of this receiver? In our opinion, there is
virtually no difference between synchronous AM and AM reception. The
synchronous mode includes both sidebands; there is no option to choose
the lower or upper sideband. The Lowe HF-150 synchronous modes and
performance are far superior. We urge that ICOM correct the synchronous
performance in future models and make available a retrofit ROM available
to current customers.

Fortunately all is not lost here. As the receiver's SSB reception is
quite good, in difficult or crowded band conditions, we simply tune in
the appropriate sideband of the desired signal and, if necessary, adjust
the PBT controls."

http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/features/m...ceivers/icr75b.
html

As I have diatribed before, using the SSB capabilities of "quality
receivers and transceivers" functions similarly to using "Synchronous
Detection", or at least the uninformed reviewers at Radio Netherlands
seem to think.

Yes, you can survive without "Synchronous Detection". Using the Icom R-75
and the Yaesu FRG-100, I do not see any differences worthy of lavishing
attention on the Sync features of the Icom.

I will say that in terms of portables, the Sony 7600GR, with the Sync
Detection (when the signal levels are sufficient to preclude the ghastly
noise that the Sony makes as the Sync Detector locks and losses its
lock), is a laudable feature making listening under "some circumstances"
much more enjoyable. (avoiding the noise associated with one sideband or
the other sometimes provides relief, but it seems that not infrequently
the noise the infests one sideband sooner or later manages to infest the
other).

Oddly enough, in terms of 3.210 and 5.070 MHz, my DX-396 is more
sensitive than the Sony, (this is with the antenna extended on the Sony
and the antenna collapsed on the DX-396, using it's internal antenna).

Of course, since Sony makes the worlds best everything (Remember the
obsession to possess things with specific names from the beginning of
this post), it must mean that my Sony is defective.

Soliloquy.

(P.S. to any poster unlucky enough to not have added me to their plonk
files, I have filtered this post, please offer all the antagonism that
you wish, I won't be here to read it ;-)

Just wondering, as no one explains what it does or how it works.