Old February 18th 05, 03:30 AM
Telamon

In article , running dogg wrote:

This is the third of four nights that I've been totally unable to
hear the BBC with any degree of audibility. For the record, I'm
trying to receive The World Today at 0300 UTC. 9525 always seems to
have or develop some strange, loud buzz that totally wipes out the
signal. It can be clear at 0230 and when I tune back at 0300 it's
developed this very loud noise that I can't null. It's like the
buzzing of a flourescent light. 5975 always has a high noise floor
for some reason, but lately it's been so bad that the signal
underneath is just mush. I've tried all FIVE modes on my Yaesu
FRG-8800 (AM, LSB, USB, CW, FM) and none of them work. I've tried
adjusting tone, volume, narrowband, AGC, noise blanker, no dice. The
same noises exist on my Degen 1102, so it's not the radio or the
antenna. I'm using about 50 feet of speaker wire on the Yaesu, and
the supplied external longwire on the Degen. A couple nights ago I
listened as 9525 started out clear at 0300 but as time went on it
developed the loud buzz, which ramped up gradually until the signal
was inaudible. Is anybody else hearing this, or having the same
problems?

You have a local noise problem. Something near you in your neighborhood
or in your house is generating this noise. It might have something to
do with a light or lamp controlled with a dimer switch.

It is typical that the noise gets worse at lower frequencies as
electronic devices are allowed to generate more noise at lower
frequencies.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California