Old February 18th 05, 05:02 PM

Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
Charles Brabham wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

It seems to me that one of the limitations of amateur packet radio

is

that
it hasn't evolved much past the 1200 baud/BBS mindset of 20+ years

ago.

Heck,
even trailingedge computer types like me have been running 56k

dialup

modems for almost a decade!

Does your 56kb dialup modem work pretty good with your 2-meter rig?

Wow! -

Why didn't we BBS operators think of this YEARS ago!

Ya missed the point, Charles.

1200 baud packet is a make-do, chosen to be quick and cheap. All

you
have to do is interface to an FM voice radio.

Getting a significant improvement in bandwidth would mean actually
*building radios* designed for the purpose. Which simply hasn't
happened in large numbers.

Arrgh. I havn't thought much about it, but yes, you are right. A rig

with both fetures could be designed without too much trouble.

One of the things that has been repeatedly promised and predicted for
the
various license test changes was that we'd get more 'technically
inclined'
new hams, who would revolutionize ham radio with 'new modes and
modulations' and other neat stuff. Yet when it comes to actually
*building radios*, we
see even the self-proclaimed 'professionals in radio' buying them
ready-made.
And ginving those who *do* build their own rigs a raft of $&!# about
doing so.

Kinda makes ya wonder....

Kind of a sad commentary. When SSB became popular in amateur radio,
hams built entire transmitters, receivers and transceivers for the
mode. Once its popularity was established, manufacturers followed.

When VHF/UHF FM voice became popular in amateur radio, there was a

mix
of homebrew and converted-land-mobile equipment used by hams. Once

its
popularity was established, manufacturers followed.

But from what I can see, the packet folks aren't much interested in
*building radios* from scratch. That's why the old standards are

still
in use.

Bingo!

I recall reading some *years* back about how TAPR was developing a UHF
SS radio for packet. Don't recall that it ever got finished.

73 de Jim, N2EY