Old February 18th 05, 03:18 PM
Dave Hall

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 05:26:14 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote:

"You need to add an insulator between the final and the Heatsink.
Simply unscrew the final mounting screw, and you should be able to slide a mica
insulator between the final and heatsink.

Make sure to use heatsink compound on both sides of the insulator.

Now for the reason: Uniden chose not to use an insulator. The mounting tab of
the final is Power ground. (emitter)
The heatsink is Chassi Ground. Connecting the final emitter to chassi ground (at
the mounting Screw) can sometimes cause an RF Ground loop."

Anyway, I will take a look at your solution too. Thanks.

Holy crap, that might have done it. While I did not spreak the coil, it appeared
to be pushed or slanted to one side. I just straightened it out a bit. Seems to
work. Will still do alignment. I will get back to you !

Be careful if you choose to insulate the transistor from the heatsink.
Be sure to use a plastic screw (or a smaller metal screw with a
plastic washer), or you won't really be insulating it.

Dave
"Sandbagger"