Old February 18th 05, 04:59 PM

I have frineds who work in the IT universe
who hold the individual from who the
spam comes from responsable.
Their viewpoint, rather hars but with
some logic, is that it is each users
responsability to keep their PC
patched and up to date, and to
be aware neough to prevent such
"hijackings".
I don't know if their viewpoint is
reasoable, but I do know that the
place I work hold each person
completley responsable for
their work computr. Several people
have lost their network connection
as a direct result of having their PC
hacked. Makes me damn carefull about
where I visist and what Emails I open.
And we have a interprise wide ban on
IE and Outlook. And inspite of what Microsoft
says, both can be removed from 98SE, ME,
w000, and EX pro. The techs bring up "your"
work computer, aplly patches to remove
IE/Outlook and hand it over to to the end user.
Tough but we don't have many viri floating around
our intranet. And they fired some clown who
thought he was too cool for the rules when he
installed a peer to peer client on his work PC.
Took them less then 20 minutes to nail him,
another 20 to walk him trough the exit paper
work and an addional 90 seconds to walk him
to his car. And we don't let anyone else use or
work PCs. Kind of strict, but we have very few
problems.
If you don't donwload crap from the net, avoid
bait sites, don't use ie or outlook, don't open
"stange" email, you as a rule, don't get hacked.
Terry