Old February 18th 05, 09:37 PM
John Edwards

Interestingly, aircraft used small loop type antennas for MF/HF DF in the
40s and 50s. Just turn loop for a null, and (maybe) use an omni sense
antenna. Two spaced reception stations give a reasonable fix for a ground
system.

JE

"John Edwards" wrote in message
news
Some years ago, the local gov department (fcc to you) here in aus carried
out test on their hf df. They were able to pinpoint a station in soth
australia within about 1 km or so. Impressive I thought at the time.

JE

"Buck" wrote in message
In WWII the allies were able to pinpoint the locations of German HF
transmissions very accurately. They were able to pinpoint the
locations of U-boats, etc. when they transmitted. (or so I have been
led to believe).

What methods did they use to do this? Is it something duplicatable
with Radio Amateurs in general or does it require some special type
equipment?

I hear lots of amateurs describing interference and other problems on
HF, but no one seems to be triangulating the offending stations. I am
guessing that the real secret was in their communications with the
'spotters' to triangulate the positions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

--
73 for now