Old February 19th 05, 03:36 AM
Jack Painter

"Bob Miller" wrote
On 18 Feb 2005 17:39:07 -0800, "
wrote:

Any ideas for a lightning arrestor for twinlead?

I'd want one connected during use even though I'd have a knife switch
thrown to ground outside the house when not operating.

We live on top of a hill...

tnx
jtm

I use banana plugs to disconnect the ladderline when it looks stormy.
Lately, I've found Radio Shake sells some pretty nice, heavy duty
banana plugs, better than what I've found at hard-core electronics
stores.

Not sure how well any lightning arrester would work, but the Wireman
sells a couple of arrestors for balanced line -- one, a contraption
with 2 spark plugs, the other, a device from I.C.E.

Bob
k5qwg

I second Bob's reference to Industrial Communication Engineers (ICE)
products. After a lot of study and customer reference-checking, I specified
some of their products and have been very satisfied.

While the products can be purchased direct from the factory, they do not
undercut their dealer, Array Solutions (a very reputable company and easy to
work with).

Your balanced-line arrestor is listed he

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Produc...mpulse1.html#2

Because coax or balanced-line surge protection devices are only a small part
of lightning protection, I invite you to take a look at a few pages I
assembled on the subject. Disconnecting everything before a storm arrives
requires diligence at all times during thunderstorm season, and often panic
when the diligence fails you (when a sneaky T-cell develops right on top of
you). There are easier, albeit expensive ways to sleep better.

http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia