Old February 19th 05, 04:44 AM
Cecil Moore

=K=5=D=H= wrote:
I guess I should clarify that the 2 foot piece of lead
wire is all outside the vehicle except for 4 inches.

Copper is better than lead. :-)

I overheard a station the other day saying that he was
using an AH-4 to load a 17m HamStick on all bands from
75m through 10m. I was thinking of doing the same but
using a 30m HamStick (not resonant on any ham band that
allows SSB operation). Anyone tried this?

Hamsticks have a nasty characteristic. A 75m Hamstick is
self-resonant before it gets to 40m. A 40m Hamstick is
self-resonant (~9 MHz) before it gets to 30m. Self-resonance
is the frequency at which the inductive reactance equals the
stray capacitive reactance and results in heavy losses. I
don't know the self-resonant frequency for a 30m Hamstick
but I'll bet it's lower than 14 MHz.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp