Old February 19th 05, 03:57 AM
Hatfield

Although I use a R-75 now, the KW 5000 I used to have was wonderful.

Glorious audio, stable, sensitive, fewer images and BCB interference
than even the R75.

It also had an excellent working NB, its adjustable too. The notch
filter worked OK but only manual and single. But you could take out
WEAK tones which were barely above the desired program level, something
autonotches apparently can't do.

The standard 6 KHz filter was too wide, but the optional 6KHz filter
(same bandwidth but steeper skirts) was as fine a SW AM filter I ever
heard, or ever will, perfect fidelity.

I also used an 1.8 KHz filter (for crowded HAM SSB bands) and 500 Hz
for CW, RTTY.

Prices aren't bad for the filters because they are at the 9MHz IF,
instead of the lower IF, so they are smaller in size and thus
cheaper...

Somewhere in QST mag back issue was a mod for making a spinner for the
main knob, and that worked very well...