Old February 19th 05, 04:59 PM
David G. Nagel

Chris wrote:

I want to purchase a 20-30 foot pole to put in my back garden as a place to
mount the antennas on.I live in the country side so i dont need to worry
about complaints.How would i mount antennas on to a basic metal pole?

Chris

Most pole mount antennas have a suitable bracket attached that will
accept two "U" bolts that usually come with it.

With the pole on the ground, lay the antenna so that the pole top and
antenna bottom line up. Using the "U" bolts and any additional hardware
that comes with it attach the two together.

If the diameter of the pole is to great for the "U" bolts you may have
to make an adapter plate, also unless the pole is of very large diameter
you may have to use guy wires to support such a tall system. The guys
should form a 45 to 60 degree slope.

Make sure the pole can stand by it's self without bending. My elmer was
trying to erect a long pipe to hold a tri-bander with my help. We
attached a come along to his tractor and the bottom of the pipe. After
much cranking on the come along we stopped to check our progress. When
we turned around to look we were presented with a pretzel. The pipe was
to soft for the application and the antenna was still on the ground
while the base was vertical. ;^)

Dave WD9BDZ