Old August 28th 03, 03:08 PM
KAZeringue

In the ARRL antenna book, in the chapter on portable antennas, there is
an article on a folded dipole using 300 ohm tv twinlead, which is
matched using a capacitor, or a stub of 300 ohm twinlead.

I've had one of these for 80 meters for over two years, and I'm quite
happy with it. I made it with "rat shack" TV twinlead, exactly
according to the cookbook, and it has a 1:1 SWR right at 3775. My rig
has no problem matching across the entire band, and the SWR around 3510
or 3990 is just approaching 3:1.

I chose to use the stub match, because I had the twinlead handy.
Dressing the stub away from the feed line is the biggest drawback I found.

Its mounted as a shallow vee, with the apex at about 50 feet, ends at
about 30 feet.

Just a different method of matching, but its simple and functional.

73,
W4KAZ