Old August 11th 03, 05:02 PM
John Byrns

In article , wrote:

Trying to identify a vacuum tube based missle seeker head.

Can anyone ID this? The box said "NIKE AJAX."

Sorry, I can't help ID that, but it sure is a neat gadget, and I would
love to hear more about it if anyone knows? With all those "submini"
tubes, it looks a little like one of Robert's "Engineering what ifs" gone
awry. Did the "NIKE AJAX" actually use a "seeker head", or was it steered
to the target by control signals from the ground? I know there were
several very different incarnations of the "NIKE" missile, but I have no
idea what the operational differences were?

Brings back memories of the 1950s, when "NIKE" missile bases ringed many
of our larger cities. I wonder when they were decommissioned, seems like
they were gone by the mid 1960s at the latest?

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,
http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/