Old February 20th 05, 09:24 AM
Pete KE9OA

"Stephan Grossklass" wrote in message
Pete KE9OA schrieb:

As far as analog vs. digital tuning, there isn't any difference in the
perceived sound unless the digital synthesizer has a high amount of phase
noise. Fortunately, the later versions of PLL have improved over past
designs. Exceptions are the synthesizers used in some of the premium
receivers such as the Collins 651S-1, HF2050, HF8050, etc.

Interestingly, the KWM-1 transceiver, not exactly cheap in its day
either, has the reputation of being rather noisy.

Are you talkink about the actuall noise figure, or the high amount of I.F.
gain that the Collins rigs of those days had?

The larger speakers, along with the audio chain help the sound somewhat,
but
if you really want to hear good portable sound, try to get ahold of one
of
the older made in Germany Grundig portables, such as the Satellit 210
(TR6005).

That would be a "Transistor 6001". The 5000 was the Sat 205, the 6000
the 208.

You are right............I just looked at the radio that I gave my wife, and
that is exactly what it says.

A dual-conversion unit on the SW bands, with 3-gang tuning on all
ranges, including MW/LW. In direct comparison with a Sony 2010 on the MW
band, the Grundig unit was better, with none of the 2nd order IM products
that the '2010 had.

Not too surprising considering the '2010 does not have front-end tuning.
The dynamic range even of a balanced FET mixer is finite after all.

Still, a properly designed mixer of this type should have an IP3 of at least
+10dBm. The Palstar R30 uses this type of mixer, and has an IP3 of +18dBm.
The only other radio that had a balanced JFET mixer that had that kind of
2nd order IM problem was an AOR3030. That had to be one of the worst
receivers I ever owned. That company was even too cheap to put a bandpass
filter in the MW range...........instead, they inserted a 10dB attenuator. I
ended up putting a MW bandpass filter of my own design. After changing all
of the front end filter diodes, I.F. filter switching diodes, and AGC diodes
to 1N5767 PIN diodes the receiver had some semblance of a real receiver
(note, only a semblance).
All in all, the '2010 isn't a bad receiver, considering everything it does.

Of course, no Sync detection, no digital readout, but
the best portable sound. Some of the upper end Nordmende and Philips
units
were also good. Nobody makes portables the way the Germans did in the 60s
and 70s. A lost art.

If I ever get into the position to do something about the audio quality
issue, I'll see what I can do. It's a shame when a newfangled Sony
ICF-M60SRDS cannot keep up with a 30 year old Grundig Signal 700 sound
wise and is somewhat but not dramatically better than a Philips D1835
with a much smaller speaker (8 cm vs. 12 cm). (BTW, Philips is a Dutch
company. They had their '80s portables made in Hong Kong (e.g. D1835,
D29xx) or China (e.g. AE3405), but then Grundig's Yacht Boys of the time
like the 700 were made in Singapore, too. Grundig( Europe)'s later
portables usually came from the factory in Portugal.)

I remember have a "made in Portugal" Grundig.

Stephan

I do remember Philips being a Dutch company.........I just threw them into
the mix. It sounds like you have been "around the block" as far as radios
are concerned. I love those European radios!

Pete