Old February 20th 05, 09:58 PM
uncle arnie

Default avalanche monitoring

Skiing holiday. The avalanche guys were communicating on a FRS hearable
channel. They had about 3 feet of snow, rain then another 2 feet. Top
layer shears off the rain layer. Lots of fun to ride up the chairlift,
hear the talk, hear the thud as they fired into the snow pack than the low
thump as the avalanche is brought down. This was in the east Kootenay
mountains of B.C. (which is all I'll report after talking to them, their
preference. May I suggest those of you who go to ski areas in the
mountains take along your scanners and FRS. You just never know what
you'll hear. SW reception with an ATS 404 was quite poor except for
Australia and the BBC.