Old February 21st 05, 02:33 AM
running dogg

Only for general interest reading,are there any sites on the internet
about how to scrounge parts or where to buy parts to make very simple
Shortwave/Ham Radio Transmitters and keys? I am talking emergency boon
docks transmitters.I could do a search on the internet for that and I
probally will too,but I figure some of you Ham Radio old timers can
provide better information.Thanks.
cuhulin

If you're a tinkerer, you can buy a used ham radio HF transmitter off
one of the hamfest websites and hook it up to a car battery. If it's AC
powered (120v) you can buy an inverter that will hook up to the
terminals of the 12v car battery and give you 120v AC power. You'll need
a pretty heavy duty inverter if you're running a tube rig though, and it
will run down the battery quickly, for those reasons you'll want to
consider an early transistorized transmitter. Last I checked, some could
be had for a couple hundred bucks if you knew where to look, but that
was a while ago, ebay might have inflated prices across the board by
now. It also depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's for use
at home when an ice storm wipes out power for a week you can rig your
already existing home setup to run off car batteries. If it's for out in
the woods a tabletop transmitter might be too much to lug around, you'll
want to look into used mobile rigs.