Old February 21st 05, 07:35 PM
Jerry Martes

" wrote in message
news5bSd.33636$tl3.9146@attbi_s02...
Regarding antenners, thats right,antennas.
Plenty of listings for various gains achieved with antennas
but I have not seen any similar listings for F/R and F/B.
Is there any around so I can see what can be or has been attained or
is blocking of rear signals of little consequence for todays hams. I can
see that being true
for when the band has just opened and propagation has not opened to the
rear or
with net operations so perhaps gain is every thing after all.
It is my opinion that if interest/efforts are increased first in
deflecting the rear action to the
front first and thereby INCREASING the front lobe width there will be more
opportunities
for increasing gains without the side lobes and narrow forward lobes that
accompany Yagi's.
as well as shorter booms. ( more deflectors/reflectors perhaps)
( no religeous, porno or genocide preaching please, fighting to see which
is best
could take place on boat anchor nets to see which has taken position of
the lowest level)
Regards
Art

Art

Excuse me if I misunderstand your post above. It reads to me that you
have an interest in building an antenna that minimizes "side lobes" to the
rear of the main beam.
In my experience with directional antennas I have not been able to
corelate minimum side lobes with maximum gain.
I'd suggest that the sidelobes will probably never be held lower than the
same level as the forward gain. That is a 20 db gain antenna will have
side lobes no lower than - 20 db with respect to the main lobe. Or, another
way to put it is; there will always be a side lobe that gets up to or above
isotropic level somewhere in the pattern.

I think I'm misreading your post because I read it to say that main lobe
could be increased in width while increasing the antenna sensitivity. That
doesnt make sense, so I guess I'm not understanding.

And, I submit that, with yagis, there is so little energy radiated in the
sidelobes of a 15 db gain Yagi antenna that *all* the sidelobe radiation
redirrected to be included in the main lobe wont add significantly to the
Practical Useability of the antenna. I write Practical Useability because
I want to distinguish that from scientific exploration of antenna gain,
which accounts for fractions of one db.

Jerry