Old February 22nd 05, 08:04 AM
Paul Keinanen

On 20 Feb 2005 15:42:20 -0800, "wb0gaz" wrote:

I'm looking for design (or at least pointer to some information about)
for a switching power supply that would provide about 1KV @ 2A given
110/220VAC input. A commercial product would work too, but I've never
seen such a thing.

One thing that might be interesting to study is to get some commercial
(surplus) product having 200-400 V secondary and adding some voltage
multiplier stages after it. At frequencies well above the mains
frequency, quite small capacitors are required in the voltage
multiplier.

Depending on the multiplier chosen, the primary switcher should either
be symmetric (push-pull) or asymmetric. Due to the limited isolation
voltage between the primary and secondary, it might be a good idea of
choosing a multiplier configuration, in which the secondary is close
to ground (e.g. one side or CT grounded). As with all switcher
rectifiers and capacitors, great care is required in selecting
components with sufficiently low ESR at the actual operating frequency
and low inductances, otherwise they might explode.

Paul OH3LWR