Old February 22nd 05, 05:39 PM
Gary Schafer

On 22 Feb 2005 17:23:11 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:55:14 -0500, Gary Schafer wrote:
On 21 Feb 2005 17:27:34 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:49:50 -0800, Sparky wrote:
The transmitter alignment instructions for my Icom 751A tranceiver
calls for a 2 tone input during the alignment process....

"Insert 2 audio signals into the MIC Connector
1.9kHz at 3mV
1.3kHz at 3mV

Are there AF generators out ther that will generate more than one
tone? The units I am seeing seem to generate just one tone (or at
least the used stuff out ther that I could afford)

Yep. To add to the other reponses, there are two-tone audio
generators used for two-tone control testing of commercial gear.
I've got one from my dad's estate that does two-tone-sequential
with adjustable duration for each tone, and two-tone-combined, and
single-tone. Thumbwheel freq(s) select from 100 cps to 9.999 kcs.
Pot adjustable tone durations (and delays), and levels.
It's probably 15-20 years old: Automated Industrial Electroncis
Corp., Model 2TSG-1.

They must show up on eBay from time-to-time. Google claims several
'hits' there -- but a search on eBay at this time shows none.

That two tone generator is only two sequential tones. It will not
produce two tones at the same time. It is also pretty much of a square
wave coming out of it too. No good for ssb testing.
It was made for pager testing.
73
Gary K4FMX

Right you are!! My apologies!
I just fired it up and verified: 2-tone, combined is _not_ an option.

(Damn! The older I get - the more wrong stuff I remember...)

One way to 'fix' a square wave is to push it through one or more
audio transformers.

73
Jonesy

Automated Industrial Electronics had an option where you could tie two
of those boxes together and generate two tones at once if I remember
right. Pretty rare though.

They did also make a specific two tone generator box for ssb. They did
have a pretty good sine wave out. You probably won't see many around
though.

73
Gary K4FMX