Old February 23rd 05, 03:01 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Brian Oakley wrote:

"Honus" wrote in message
news:H4TSd.54284$uc.1254@trnddc04...

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
Copied from page 241 of the New Testament of a 1963 edition of Dake's
Annotated Reference Bible. As far as I know ALL his Bible's are King
James Only.

[ALL TYPOS ARE MINE ALONE! I think I'll copyright them!] :-) [Where
he underlined for emphasis I'll use upper case.]

===========

A Tribute to the Bible

The Bible is not an amulet, a charm, a fetish, or a book that will work
wonders by its very presence.

IT IS a book that will work wonders in every life, here and hereafter,
if acted upon and obeyed in faith and sincerity. IT IS God's inspired
revelation of the origin and destiny of all things, written in the most
simple human language possible so that the most unlearned can understand
and obey its teachings. IT IS self-interpreting and covers every
subject of human knowledge and need now and forever.

That means absolutely nothing, and the same claims could be made by any
other holy book. And written in the most simple human language possible?
What hyperbole! It was written in an inferior language, plain and simple.
Having a word for "sphere" or "globe", etc. for example would have made

the
whole is the Earth round or flat debate moot. I won't even go near the
"almah" means young lady vs. virgin debate. And as for understanding and
obeying its teachings, yeah...right. that's why they're more subsets of
Christianity than you can name.

I have to disagree. The Koran cant work wonders as it teaches its followers
to kill all infidels. As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it

So does the Old Testament if you read the right parts selectively.
The problem is fundies, /literalists and people that have an agenda
and are using a holy book to justify their ends. A pox on them.

The popularly quoted phrase from the Koran that says "kill all the
infidels" is taken out of context. The rest of the paragraph says
"unless they leave us alone". Nothing wring with that.

Read the writings of Karen Armstrong

http://www.islamfortoday.com/karenarmstrong.htm

and Bernard Lewis

http://www.arab2.com/biography/bernard-lewis.htm

translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you choose.
As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed. As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.
Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our lack of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to mind.
For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives. If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder, no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.