Old August 24th 03, 04:43 PM
Bill Janssen

Bobby wrote:

Hello all,

I'm only 22 years old and interested in anything electronic. Computers,
HiFi, home theatre, antique radios, and ham radio. I am planning on
getting a license, but I thought that code was needed for a technicians
class. I thought wrong, but still plan on learning it. It is interesting
to me, kinda like be interested in a new language. Also, never know when
it may come in handy. Maybe ID4("Independence Day", the movie) has
predicted some future use for it. Just kidding, but anymore, who knows?
There may be life out there, somewhere.

Anyways, to get back on track, I have a reprint of the Radio Handbook,
23rd Edition, by the late Bill Orr W6SAI. There is a schematic for a
simple code practice oscillator that I am going to build. Sure there are
some that can be bought, but how fun is that. I enjoy getting in there
and dealing with all of the hardware. I do my own car repairs, and it is
a 1998 Chrysler Sebring. Electronics galore in that monster. One of
these days, hopefully sooner than later, I may just be conversing with
one of the hams who regular this NG. Cheaper than a long distance phone
call, at least if you don't consider the cost of the equipment.

Gotta go,

Bobby

Welcome to the hobby. I am 75 years and been a ham since about 1958 ( I
think)
I have built my own transmitters but never built a serious receiver. (good
ones were
to easy to buy). I have an advanced class licence but have used code only
when
needed. My last CW contact was two weeks ago when the signal on 10,368.200
GHz
was too week to be side band quality. I had to work at that CW contact but I
made it.
That 10 GHz transverter was made from surplus commercial parts with a couple
of
home made interface boards.

Ham radio can be interesting, fun and educational. And yes, CW can be
useful.

Bill K7NOM