Old August 28th 03, 07:51 PM
Tom Bruhns

(Dr. Slick) wrote in message . com...
"Tarmo Tammaru" wrote in message ...

According to Adler, Chu, and Fano, "Electromagnetic Energy Transmission and
Radiatin", John Wiley, 1960, (60-10305),
when they talk about lossy lines, and say that Zo is complex in the general
case, they come up with a maximum value for the reflection coefficient of (1
+ SQRT(2)). Eq 5.14b. Remember, it is a lossy line; so, the reflected
voltage gets smaller as you move away from the load. Somebody might want to
check this out, in case I misunderstood something. BTW, the three authors
were all MIT profs.

Tam/WB2TT

Les Besser, Pozar, and Kurokawa are all PhDs too.

But a PhD is only human too.

Could you send me that paper?

Garvin, it's a book, not a paper. Your bookstore can probably help
you with it. Besser, at least, apparently came to understand the
error of his ways on this point, and Besser Associates is now
presenting the correct formula in their classes, per the email I
posted from them. I haven't checked with Pozar or Kurokawa, but
strongly suspect you are taking their works out of context and
misinterpreting them.

Cheers,
Tom