Old August 24th 03, 08:03 PM
gil

Well, then shouldn't there be testing for knowledge and/or proficiency
of spark and other things that are "part of our heritage"?

Was that ever part of the test?

All I'm saying is that a lot of the newbies and anti-code guys want to
change the exam to accomodate their wants/needs.

13 wpm was too much, now 5wpm is too much, do away with the code then the
debate will be...why should we learn or know anyting about radio when we can
just go to the store and buy a rig with lots of watts so we can chat with
someone on the other side of the world with no problem? No No wait....lets
give them a telephone call so we can talk without QRM!

Why not just eliminate all exams and rules and regulations?

"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message

gil wrote:
Why do we have to take the CW exam?
Because its there, it has been from day one and we should respect
that....Period!
Its part of the requirements to become a Ham.

Well, then shouldn't there be testing for knowledge and/or proficiency
of spark and other things that are "part of our heritage"?

Ya know, it's funny. I was reading _50 years of the ARRL_ the past
few days. And in in the 50's people were bitching about appliance
operators. Oh, and I might add, the relevancy of morse code. There
was talk about "I wish the ARRL would stop trying to force SSB down
our throats." And a great wailing and gnashing of teeth because
Collins dropped their AM transmitter line. Go figure. I guess part
of the tradition of amateur radio is being a Luddite.

Jeff

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Tara Morice as Fran, from the movie "Strictly Ballroom"