Old August 29th 03, 01:54 AM
Irv Finkleman

K5DH wrote:

Yes, you're right. Coils usually don't just come untuned.
However, other components in the circuit will change value
with age, often necessitating an alignment. This is even
more true with tube-type gear, where the heat takes a big
toll on components over the years.

So, I'm "Another Goldenscrewdriver tech", am I?

I am a professional electronic technician with 23 years'
experience with a major aerospace company, and an Extra
Class ham with 26 years in the hobby (a REAL Extra, not
a modern era "gimme" Extra). I've been building, fixing,
and restoring gear for all of those years. Because I'm
restoring a vintage CB radio rather than a piece of ham
gear, you assume that I know nothing and am just dorking
around with it? What are your qualifications? Are you
justified in making such observations about others?

Thanks for all of your insightful "help".

73,
Dean K5DH

In article ,
says...

Mots of the time coils just don't come untuned, why do you need to turm
them.
Another Goldenscrewdriver tech.

Dean -- I don't think it was meant that way, but it was a good
observation. I've am a retired Journeyman Technician, spent 26
years in the Navy all in electronics, was a Tech for Sony for 15,
years, a ham since 58 and have been building, repairing and whatnot
electronicswise most of my life -- and I should have thought to mention
that they seldom change as well. I've been caught in the 'Golden
Screwdriver' situation myself and just laughed it off.

Irv VE6BP
--
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001