Old February 26th 05, 05:26 AM

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Hello.

That is correct. There is no doubt that in many ways the Sony

ICF-SW77
was a better radio overall than the '7600. It featured better
sensitivity, more memories, a tuning knob, etc.

But I never owned one, and never considered buying one, due to the

many
shortcomings ("chugging" while tuning, heavy battery consumption,
mediocre dynamic range, plus a few others) described in PASSPORT TO
WORLD BAND RADIO. These performance "lapses" are important to me;

they
may be less important to others. (For example, I have one radio - a
Radio Shack DX-400 - that "chugs" when tuning; I'll NEVER have
another!)

All the comparisons are moot, however, in my opinion, because the
choice boils down to buying "used" or "new." I'll ALWAYS recommend
buying "new."

Best,

Joe

There definitely is something to be said for buying new, and I don't
think he'd be disappointed at all with a 7600GR. There was a fellow not
long ago on the SW77 group over on Yahoo who got stuck with a defective
SW77 via Ebay. Definitely something to consider....