Old February 27th 05, 06:55 PM
Jim Thompson

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:52:52 +0000 (UTC),
(Ken Smith) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:
[....]

But I vaguely recall a 5/8 wavelength antenna that had a good
low-angle pattern.

Unfortunately, the OP (is he still here?) was stuck with a box to short to
even fit a 1/4 wave whip. I also think that this box could not be assumed
to be resting on the ground

If you squint at the ASCII art below, you will see more or less the
radiation pattern of a 5/8 whip over a large ground plain.
................!...............
..........******!*****..........
.........*......!......*........
.........*......!......*........
..........****..!..****...A.....
.......*******..!..*******......
....***.........!.........***...
..*.............!.............*B

If you don't have a large enough ground plain, the notch in the side
labeled "A" starts to go away and the peak at "B" reduces.

--

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |