Old February 27th 05, 08:17 PM
robert casey

Well that example proves the point that you don't know what you may need or
want in the future as secretaries are now going the way of the dodo bird in
large part. Almost all employees that have a need to do correspondence do
their own these days in any company that I have been in. The company I work
for right now let their last secretary go about four years ago.

And we all use word processor software to do that writing. Cut
and paste, fix spelling errors, rewrite something that was weak,
and such. Back in the olden days secretaries took care of
typing stuff onto paper without error. Today we write on computers,
edit and whatnot, and once we have it the way we want it, send
the file to the printer. One pretty much had to do that
via longhand on paper notepads that would then be given to
the secretary to type up. She would fix the spelling errors
and some of the grammar and hopefully not munge the concepts.
And if that did happen we'd have to get that part retyped.
Took forever.

There are technical writers who rewrite engineer writing
into something hopefully better written. But the engineer
has to review it to be sure that the meaning didn't get
munged.