Old February 28th 05, 10:17 PM
running dogg

David Stinson wrote:

I guess the thing that really surprises me about Y.S.
is that (apparently) someone thought they could
carry on a long-term operation like this and escape being caught.
That's the biggest thing that lead me to believe this
might be an exercise of some kind by Uncle;
I didn't think anyone could be that foolish.
And what he was doing couldn't have been cheap;
it's not like an old CB and tape recorder could
have pulled this off.
Of course, I'm just speculating;
we'll have to wait for all the facts,
but I freely admit to being surprised by this turn.
Dave S.

Operating on the same frequencies as WWV and in a ham band were pretty
bold moves. Even if YS hadn't done those things, the prominence of the
signal (it was pretty strong on 3700-the freq in the ham band-in the
morning here in California) would have meant that hams all over the US
would be trying to track him down. Coordinating the signals like that
took some doing; I'm assuming that this isn't your garden variety Hard
Harry type pirate. All the signs pointed to it being a government
operation. I'm quite surprised that it has turned out to be a pirate.
There was quite a bit of time and I assume money invested by this person
in YS, why he did it nobody can say at this time. Remember KIPM, the
pirate who operated with a gazillion watts and never seemed to get
caught? Alan Maxwell put a lot of effort into his operation as well, but
at least he had something to say. YS just seems to have been done for
kicks.