Old March 1st 05, 11:10 PM
bb

Dee Flint wrote:
"Alun L. Palmer" wrote in message
.. .
"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote in message
.. .
"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote in message
.. .
"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

"robert casey" wrote in message
ink.net...

Earn your priviliges. It isn't impossible.

Just be sure that the things one needs to do to earn the
privileges are revalent to modern ham radio.

Why should ham radio be different than other activities? Most

of
the things we do to gain privileges in this world are not

relevant
to the privilege itself.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Oh, so everything else is messed up, so ham radio should be

messed
up too? Even if I thought it were true, that would still be the
worst argument I have heard yet, ROTFLMAO!

It does not mean that things are messed up. It is simply a fact

that
a very effective way to motivate people to do something that

they
don't want to do is to tie it to a privilege that they very much
want. Parents do it all the time.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

So treat prospective hams like errant children?

No not at all. Let's use a workplace example instead. Many

people,
even if they like their jobs, do have elements of the work they

don't
like. However they get a reward or privilege in the form of money

for
performing those elements.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

And Morse isn't an element of my operating, but I had to take a

test in
it.
That's like having to take a typing test and then having a

secretary to do
your typing.

Well that example proves the point that you don't know what you may

need or
want in the future as secretaries are now going the way of the dodo

bird in
large part. Almost all employees that have a need to do

correspondence do
their own these days in any company that I have been in. The company

I work
for right now let their last secretary go about four years ago.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Probably why much business correspondence is just so much mumbo jumbo,
or maybe it was outsourced to China.