Old March 2nd 05, 12:05 PM
David Stinson

Default the definition of "rare",

Ron in Radio Heaven wrote:

I think we need to work on the definition of "rare",
much less "quite rare" when it comes to old radios....

These are pretty good guidelines, Ron, and in line
with the "Scarcity Scale" I advocate in the
Military Radio community. To make it relevant,
it is based both on the number of know examples
in private hands (those in museums are not likely to
be available to collectors and therefore, in practical terms,
don't exist) and the likelihood of a collector
obtaining one.

0: Extinct- No examples of this set are known
to survive in private hands.

1: Unique- Only one is known to exist.
Confirmed prototypes and manufacturer's
"morgue" sets belong here.
Finding one is a happy accident.

2: Rare- Less than ten of these sets are known to exist.
You may acquire one or two in a lifetime of collecting.

3: Uncommon- Enough of these sets remain that 3-5 years
of effort will add them to your collection.

4: Common- This set can be acquired in a short time
with modest effort.

Some folks advocate a step between 2 and 3, but
I don't see a need for it. These five define
scarcity pretty well, IMHO.

Kindly,
David S.