Old March 2nd 05, 10:44 PM
gwhite

Ken Smith wrote:

In article , gwhite wrote:
[...]
Here's the original quote [Ken]:

"When the correct matching is done, the antenna works as an impedance mathcing
network that matches the output stages impedance to the radiation resistance."

Yes, I stand by and have just in another part of the thread once again
explained that indeed the impedance is matched. ie: If you make a small
change in the impedance in any direction the power decreases.

Driven to max swing, this is true. But it is because of asymmetrical clipping,
not because of conjugate mismatch. For lower drives, what you say won't
necessarily be true *unless* you've mis-designed according to conjugate match
ideals. Your argument is circular.

If you design for conjugate match, you're right. I'm saying: don't do that. If
I design for load line match and you design for conjugate max (both pf us using
the same device and supply), I will get a higher peak power than you will.
However, you'll get to be right about how your amp acts regarding diverging from
conjugate load. But it is irrelevent: you made a fundamental mistake.

Increasing
the resistance is the obvious one. The other three are because the
protection circuits act. The OP had a completed transmitter he was
connecting to a length of wire.