Old September 7th 03, 01:54 AM
ckh

On Sun, 6 Sep 3903 12:10:35, wrote:

I am looking for recommendations on the best all-tube 80-10 SSB/CW
transceiver to buy.

I would prefer:that it be smaller rather than larger, and that it have
a built-in power supply. I realize that this is likely to be a
contradiction, so I'd prefer the built-in power supply over the small
size as this is going to be set up in a portable installation
(motorhome) and the fewer separate boxes I need to mess with, the
better..

The only absolute requirement is that it be all tubes, no
transistorized VFOs or any such thing, although solid state rectifiers
in the power supply are OK.

Thanks...

Rick WA1RKT

There can be only one. Collins KWM2 with the clip on power
supply.

Close runners up are the Heathkit SB-101, Drake TR series, the
Hallicrafters SR-150, maybe the NCX-5. I don't know if the NCX-5
was solid state but it was from the tube era.

The Heathkit SB-102 has a solid state VFO so you want the 101
model.

The Heathkit might be better than the Collins if you work a lot of
CW but either should do you fine.

When comparing boatanchors, remember that these radios are 30+
years old.

Top performance will only be available if you or a previous owner
did a refurb.

de ah6gi/4