Old March 2nd 05, 09:35 PM

Default ClearSpeech Base Unit

Over the last day or so I've had a chance to experiment with one of the
old ClearSpeech base units. I've heard mixed opinions about the value
of this unit when it comes to DXing weak signals. Some say it can make
some signals intelligible when they otherwise wouldn't be, while others
say that it can't. My own sense is that it can, *depending on the
circumstances*. If the signal is just so weak that you couldn't make it
out even under optimal circumstances, then the Clearspeech can do
anything about that. However, if enough signal is there but you're
unable to resolve it because it's awash in noise, *then* the
Clearspeech *can* make it intelligible--by stripping away the noise.
So, I think this unit has real value for DX purposes, except on those
occasions when the band you're listening to is just very quiet to begin
with. At all other times, I think the ClearSpeech unit can make a
significant difference. It's very neat and works better than I
expected. When using it earlier today, I had the best, cleanest audio
I've ever had of Diego Garcia on 13254 khz.

From a purely functional point of view, I prefer the base unit to the

speaker version because I already have a speaker I like, and I've heard
nothing especially good about the ClearSpeech speaker. The only
advantage to the speaker unit, so far as I can tell, is that it's newer
and has improved signal processing capabilities. I wish Heil had
decided to pick up production of the base unit instead of the speaker
version, but so it goes.

Steve