Old September 7th 03, 07:42 PM

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:56:14 GMT, Edward Knobloch
wrote:

Rick originally said he wanted SSB plus c.w. capability.
The KWM-2 is a fine SSB transceiver, but it's c.w.
operation is the pits. It keys an audio oscillator
(about 1.5 KHz)into the mic circuits to generate c.w.,

Now that you mention it, I remember that. That always struck me as
rather lame for a radio that was supposed to be the Cadillac of its
time.

For the purposes of this exercise, SSB is more important to me than
CW, though CW is also a factor ... maybe I should re-think this.

I didn't mention it before (because I didn't think of it) but
reliability is also a factor. Now, I never had any trouble with my
NCX-5 or my HW-101 or SBE-34 or Heath MT-1/MR-1 combo or the Swan I
had (don't remember now which model, might have been the 260 or 270),
but at the time everybody was saying how much more reliable the
Collins was than any of the others.

Rick WA1RKT