Old September 7th 03, 09:52 PM

On 7 Sep 2003 20:22:34 GMT, Too Much SPAM (ckh) wrote:

Or it could mean that you keep a backup, inexpensive solid state
rig in a metal box. It could be anything, an old Tentec, an
IC-701, anything will work.

My so-far-limited research indicates that probably wouldn't be good
enough. You'd have to have more than just a thin metal box, maybe a
THICK metal box, or lead, or something, and perhaps there'd be
grounding considerations.

If you planned for it, you could have a spare set of diodes in the
impervious metal box and just sub them in when the balloon goes
up.

True, I thought of that, and it's one of the options.

Anyway, I'm guessing that the EMP risk is overstated.

I would like to think so, but I don't, not really... there is a lot of
information out there that seems to indicate it's a real danger.

Rick WA1RKT