Old March 3rd 05, 11:49 PM
bob

I have an AR5000+3 and it's a fantastic radio. However, it might be
overkill if your primary interest is HF.
With an AOR receiver, it will really receive everywhere it states. Some
scanners (like the Alinco DJ-X10 that is more or less deaf above
1000Mhz.) claim to receive somewhere, but the sensitivity is measured in
volts or millivolts, but not microvolts as it should be.

I have never owned an Icom (such as the 7100 or the 8500) but they also
have a reputation for being nice receivers.

If you have the bucks, go for the 5000+3 non US version. It will give
you an AFC with display, synchronous tuning, and built in DTMF display.
All nice little perks to have in a rig.

B.

Frank M wrote:
I'm about 5 years into listening sw, ham, utilities on tabletop Bearcat,
Icom R75, and
Grundig 800...and am ready for next level, after spending 4 of those
years working
on antenna setups ,-)

'would appreciate recommendation for midlevel listening tabletop model.
And if I order
from Canada, how can I get one free of cell blockage (if possible)?

Thanks and regards from Atlanta, GA