Old March 3rd 05, 10:35 PM
Tebojockey

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:30:17 -0600, "Ric Trexell"
wrote:

I was reading a few of the posts about how there will not be a need for ham
radio in the future due to all the new ways of communicating. That has a
lot to do with it but I think the biggest problem with ham radio is the hams
themselves. CB'ers killed CB'ing with bad language and hams are doing it
with those stupid contests. I remember as a kid getting my first SW radio
and listening to hams talk about their lives and the area that they lived in
and stuff like that. Now when I turn it on I get guys talking only about
their radio or calling CQ CQ contest. Then another will come back and say
they are 5 and 9 out here in Kansas and soon the guy is calling CQ CQ
contest again. Does any one think that people are going to invest in a
radio and all the learning to do what are nothing more than fancy radio
checks? If that is what the ham bands are going to be used for, then I say
turn them over to business and telephone radio freqs. Ric.

You know, I've been licensed for a little over twenty years, not
always active. I hold an advanced class license, not extra. I just
haven't had the time or opportunity to go for the exam, and I really
can do all I want with the advanced class.

Now, this is a general reply to all the mess that's been posted here
in the last few days. The hobby will not die out, simply for the fact
that there will always be those individuals who rise to a challenge
and will study to pass an exam (whether people think it's meaningless
or not) to attain the goal that they want. In this case, the ham
ticket.

It has been my experience that people who have no hope of passing a
technical examination are the ones who bitch and moan the most about
why they shouldn't have to take such a "meaningless exam." True, in
the US we have done away with the high-speed code requirements (except
for the General RadioTelegraph License), but that is because it is a
somewhat outmoded means of communication. Even for seafarers, GMDSS
is taking over and code is used less and less. The fact that one
needs to understand the RF medium one is working in and fully
understand the technical requirements and aspects of it will never
change. Dangerous voltages and currents exist here as well as the
potential to cause harmful interference, so this will "never" be a
plug-and-play hobby. If you think that you can do it like that, you
are a danger to yourself and others and probably bordering on a public
menace.

Even SWLs who tinker with building their own equipment need to know
electronics or they have no hope of success. Although there is no
license requirements or testing for SWLs (at least no license here in
the US), most take it as a matter of personal pride to learn all they
can.

As for "meaningless college courses," well, I can think of a few:
Psych didn't aid me in my goals one bit, nor did the mechanical
engineering courses such as thermals and fluids. But I took them and
gave it every effort BECAUSE IT WAS A REQUIREMENT and I wanted my
BSEE.

So here I now sit, with a BSEE (B.Sc. EE) that has gotten me good
employment, as well as a Microsoft MCSE which has also helped and I am
also certified by the Society of Broadcast Engineers as a CBRE AM/FM.
All of this paid off, and like so many before me, I rose to the
challenge instead of whining and bitching and moaning.

As for contests and people talking about thei radios, well, if you
don't like that, then go out and find someone who wants to talk about
the things you wish to discuss. It's as simple as that! You
certainly are not going to change the meat and potatoes of the ham
community, so you will spare yourself an aneurism and have much more
success by initiating conversations with like-minded individuals who
are willing to talk about other issues. There are so many licensed
amateurs in the world that surely you will find someone who wants to
talk with you.

Just my two cents, and thanks for listening.

Al