Old March 4th 05, 02:09 PM
Richard Fry

"Richard Harrison" wrote:
Radio transmitters don`t produce significant harmonics. It`s the law.
They are linear power sources. We can and do tune them for all the power
they will produce under their particular operating conditions of drive
and d-c power supply. They operate at more than 50% efficiency which
means that they don`t take power 100% of the time, but are switched-off
during part of the r-f cycle. Output impedance is thus an average over
the entire cycle. It`s OK. We have no harmonics. Gaps are filled by the
tank circuit and other filters.

Note that without adjustment, modern, solid-state FM broadcast transmitters
can (and do) provide 80% or better PA efficiency into a 50 ohm load across
20% bandwidth, with no tank circuit or other in-band filter(s).

If this is done in a commercial service, certainly it could be done in
amateur radio devices. Physics is not application-selective.

Posters of various forms of "Absolute Truths" to the contrary might well do
a bit more research.

RF