Old March 4th 05, 05:40 PM

Actually, your friend's remarks don't surprise me too much, now that I
think about it. I actually saw someone on usenet once claim that the
800 was better than the R8B. (I wonder if it was friend?). In any case,
no one disputes that there are more knobs to twist and buttons to push
on the 800. And no one denies that the 800 has some significant
advantages over the 150, like FM and airband. However, as far as
shortwave performance is concerned, the 800 is not even competitive
with the 150. I've owned two 800s, so I'm not just making this up; and
I don't think the 800 is a bad receiver by any means. On the contrary,
I think it's a good, if overpriced, receiver. But it's absurd to
compare it to a Lowe, a Palstar or something of that ilk. I'm surprised
that this is even an issue, but don't take my word for it....if you
ever have a chance, compare them for yourself. One thing I will say is
that the 800 sounds better than the 150 when both are using their stock
speakers. However, the tables quickly turn if external speakers are
involved. In that instance, the 150's audio is vastly superior to the
800s.

Sometimes I think that people have a weird since of loyalty to the 800
because it's the last of the royal Grundig line. Not that there's
anything wrong with that, but it's not so great when someone else's
money is at stake.

Steve