Old September 9th 03, 01:55 AM

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:49:13 UTC, wrote:

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:00:10 GMT, "William Warren"
wrote:

First, fear is a lot easier to create than it is to control.

Good afternoon, Bill.

Thank you for your thoughts. I agree with most of what you say.

FWIW, I am not particularly afraid. I believe that what I think will
happen, will happen, and sooner rather than later. I'm taking some of
what I consider reasonable steps to prepare for it, then I'm moving on
to all the other stuff that needs to be done around here... (like, oh,
say, finding a job for example...)

Rather than being afraid, I guess I was badly numbed by what happened
on 9/11 and I don't expect to recover fully from that numbness any
time soon.

But, perhaps that is just another type of fear ...

Rick WA1RKT

No. The startling thing about 9-11 is that most folk have not
come to grips with it. The general public has put it out of their
mind and believes that the various measures that have been
taken have reduced the risk.

How would you know that? This is one of those risk-ratio things
that doesn't compute easily.

How do you calculate the odds? How can you work through the
scenarios.

While there have been numerous movies about nukes smuggled into the
U.S., "Goldfinger", "the Sum of all Fears", "the Peacemaker", etc.,
I believe that the smuggled nuke in the U.S. scenario is unlikely.

In addition, I doubt that an EMP will occur close enough to take out
my electronics.

The reason to have a tube radio is because there is something
tres-cool about it. I have an old SB-101 and an SB-102, I have
them because these are fun to operate and not because I'll be the
"communicator" in a post-apocalytic "Postman" world.

de ah6gi/4