Old March 5th 05, 06:40 AM
Scott W. Harvey

K3HVG wrote:
That wouldn't work now. A 90lb package would be overweight and
guaranteed to require a sizable fee (unless you know the gate
agent...hi!!). But... at least you'd know where it was!!!!!

The classic method of dealing with this problem is to use the curbside
check-in and tip the skycap generously. I have never done this with a
boatanchor, but I have shipped several bikes this way and have always
avoided the $55.00 flat rate fee for bikes.....

One time, I bought a trans-oceanic at a tag sale in Connecticut just
before a flight (literally on the way to the airport, so no time to box
it up). My carry-on allowance was already used up, so I checked it as
luggage as is, and it went from New York to Portland,OR unscathed.

I don't recommend this, however.

-Scott

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:

Need a schematic? check out the Schematic Bank at:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/

Archive of alt.binaries.pictures.radio binary postings:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/abpr/