Old September 11th 03, 04:51 AM
TchrMe

Irv,
Based on my experience restoring many other brands of rcvrs with tubes, I was
able to deduce quite a bit about tuning the RF deck. My IF deck was pretty good
so I didn't mess with it yet.
Take the cover of the rcvr and the rf deck is on the right side looking from
the front of the rcvr.
You will see 2 rows of caps. The row nearest the rear of the rcvr is the osc
caps with the holes behind them being the osc slug coils. Band 1 is on the
right side and Band 5 on the left. I found that the S mtr was not accurate
enough to peak the adjustments so I hooked a VTVM across the spkr terminals to
visually see when I peaked a setting. Set the dial and your signal generator to
a freq near the high end of a band and tweak the cap to adj. Then change the
dial and the sig gen to a freq on the low end of the band and ck alignmt. If
not spot on, you adj the slug coils. Then go back and forth between the caps
and the coils until both setting are correct. I find I use WWV at 5, 10, and 15
Mhz as one of my settings if they are in the band being aligned. Do this with
each band. When you are satisfied with the alignment go back to the freq with
the signal gen and tweak the front row of caps to peak the signal. I think
these are for either the ant or mixer on this rcvr. Doesn't matter, just peak
them. For bands 3,4,and 5, there is a front hole for a slug coil...peak them
too. By the way Band 5 was partially none functional due to a bad or old solder
joint near the bandswitch. Make sure you clean the bandswitch and if a band is
still not wking, flex the rf board with your finger tip and see if it starts
working...then look for a bad solder joint.
Someone told me a manual is available for downloading at
http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/bearcatting.html
I hope this helps and let me know how things went, Mike KF6KXG